Tamar NRM, in conjuction with Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture, is running a field day at the Cressy Research Facility to take a tour of the farm trial sites and talk about pastures, seeds and genebanks, fertilising pastures and soil nutrition.
When: Thursday March 21st 10.00 am to 2.30 pm
Where: Cressy Research Facility trial paddocks, Burlington Road, South of Cressy
Rowan Smith (Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture)
Stewart Sutherland and Tim Smallbon (Upper Murray Seeds)
Eric Hall (Pastures expert and Tamar NRM PDS Consultant)
Bookings essential: Contact Greg Lundstrom on 03 6323 3310, 0438 642 112 or [email protected]
Click on Poster for details
Tamar NRM has some new wildlife cameras to assist us, and others, in discovering what species are in the Tamar. During 2018 the cameras have been out in gardens and reserves taking photographs and videos of wildlife. The cameras have motion sensors so they are triggered by anything going past. The cameras are fitted with Infra Red Flash or Black Flash No Glow technology so there is little to no light seen by animals or people when taking night shots. We hire out the cameras, so if you would like to use them please contact us on [email protected] or 03 6323 3310
Some of the Latest Videos
Click on the images to see the videos
Some of the Latest Images
Carr Villa, Trevally and SKEMPS had photos of cats (pets and feral)
Farmgate Festival is a premiere food and farming event in the Tamar Valley of northern Tasmania.
A selection of farmers and producers are opening their gates for the weekend, on Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th November 2018, giving you the chance to go behind the scenes on the farm, meet the people who grow and make your food, and hear their stories.
Along with farmers and producers there are two amazing feasts on too. Bookings are essential for these.
Check out the Farmgate Flyer for more information. Tickets can be purchased from the Farmgate Webstie along with all the information. Some tours need to be prebooked!
WHAT’S ON AT THE EXPO
This years Tamar Sustainable Living EXPO has four workshop and presentations spaces and with such a great lineup there something for eveyone!
Click on the times below to get all the details.
Tamar Valley Centre
- 9:30am – 10:00am: Tasmania as the world leader in securing a stable climate (Todd Houstein, Sustainable Living Tasmania)
- 10:00am – 11:00am: Solar Power: On-grid/off-grid? Batteries? Hot water? FAQs (Martin Dingemanse, MODE Electrical)
- 11:00am – 12:00pm: Healthy soils: The key to growing well (Theresa Chapman, RMCG and Dr Graeme Stevenson with MC Costa Georgiadis)
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Sustainable & Healthy Housing: Some important principles (Dr Mark Dewsbury, UTAS)
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Climate Leaders of Launceston (Launceston College & Scotch Oakburn College with MC Costa Georgiadis)
- 2:30pm – 3:30pm: Solar Power: On-grid or off-grid? Batteries? Hot water? FAQs (Martin Dingemanse MODE Electrical)
John Duncan Room (A)
- 9:30am – 10:00am: Electric vehicles and you: Why, when, what, and how? (Clive Attwater Aust. Electric Vehicle Association)
- 10:00am – 10:30am: Sustainability at UTAS (Dr Carmen Primo Perez, University of Tasmania)
- 10:30am – 11:00am: Oils ain’t oils – How can you run a car on fish and chip oil?! (Dr Scott Bell, Esmeralda Enterprises)
- 11:00am – 11:30am: How to be healthy in a toxic world (Joanne Roles, MiPassion)
- 11:30am – 12:00pm: Create your healthy happy lifestyle with pure essential oils (Kay Hamilton, Kay’s Essential Oils)
- 12:00pm – 12:30pm: From waste to wealth (Mark Love, Bootstrap Enterprises)
- 1:30pm – 2:00pm: How to get the most out of solar panels in Tasmania (Todd Houstein, Sustainable Living Tasmania)
- 2:00pm – 2:30pm: Sustainable waste plastics recycling and reprocessing in Tasmania (Michael Turner, Envorinex)
- 2:30pm – 3:00pm: Oils ain’t oil 0 How can you run a car on fish and chip oil?! (Dr Scott Bell, Esmeralda Enterprises)
- 3:00pm – 3:30pm: Why a Farmers’ Market? (Kim Hewitt, Harvest Launceston Community Farmers’ Market)
John Duncan Room (B)
- 10:30am – 11:00am: Composting with kids (Costa Georgiadis, ABC TV)
- 11:30am – 12:30pm: Bikes & baggage: How to go car-free (Anna Povey with Malcolm and Vicky Cowan, Tamar Bicycle User Group)
- 1:00pm – 1:30pm: Practical soil testing (Theresa Chapman, RMCG)
- 2:00pm – 2:30pm: Compost and worms in the home (Damien Crompton, Permaculture Tasmania)
- 2:30pm – 3:30pm: Bikes & baggage: How to go car-free (Anna Povey with Malcolm and Vicky Cowan, Tamar Bicycle User Group)
Check out our Sustainable Living Expo Program!
Click on the image to take you to the program. Available at the door on the day
Get all your 2018 Tamar Sustainable Living Expo information here!
This edition of Naturally Yours focuses on all things Expo related. Open up and have a read, to see who is exhibiting and presenting at this years Tamar Sustainable Living Expo. We have over 33 stalls and 4 workshop/presentation rooms. Pleanty to see and do!
$5 entry fee (U18 free)
Naturally Yours Spring 2018 (5.5MB)
Tamar NRM are looking for energetic and committed volunteers to help us make the inaugural Tamar Sustainable Living Expo an event to remember! Would you like to be involved? Or do you know someone who may be? Volunteer Contact Form
The inaugural 2018 Tamar Sustainable Living Expo will provide participants with a ‘one stop shop’, connecting them with local businesses and community groups providing products, services and programs to help them live more sustainably. Costa Georgiadis, ABC’s Gardening Australia host, is already on board! Find our more on our Facebook Page.
What’s in it for you?
You will get to meet and work with other fabulous people. Your efforts at the Expo will help your fellow northern Tasmanians to learn how to live more sustainably. You will also be invited to a special volunteer get-together after the Tamar Sustainable Living Expo to show our appreciation. We will support you with the tools and information you need to undertake your role.
We would love your help before, during and after the Expo. So please complete the Volunteer Contact Form to let us know your availability and send to Gabby, our Expo Coordinator, at your earliest convenience at [email protected]. She will then be in touch with you to discuss exactly what you would like to do when volunteering.
Please feel free to share amongst your networks. Many hands make light work!
We look forward to having you on board 🙂
The Winter Edition of Tamar NRM’s newsletter Naturally Yours is ready for some fireside reading.
Please click on one of the below links to check it out. The larger version is recommended if you can as it has better resolution of photos. We hope you enjoy!
Large Version (6.8MB)
Small Version (1.8MB)